[Inline image 2]
Every spring, I find myself picking up trash as I walk with the dogs along the rural road
that runs parallel to my home in Northern Michigan (USA). I'm amazed that people
unconsciously discard fast food wrappers, drink containers, car tires, old television
sets, building materials and even large glass jars filled with used cooking oil.
Evidently, they have never heard of Jean-Claude Piaget's Theory of Object Permanence
). I'm sure my trash picking tendency
and respect for Mother Nature is the result of an early childhood experience. My fifth
grade class, in celebration of Earth Day, took a field trip to clean up litter in a local
neighborhood. It's often a single moment that has the power to transform our
perspective for a lifetime.
In keeping with the momentum of Earth Day, you should know that Jenny is focused on
keeping the carbon footprint of the 1st International Conference on Transport & Health
(ICTH) as small as possible. Therefore, ICTH will be a GREEN conference as much as
possible by implementing the following:
* Electronic Programme App - printed ICTH Programme will not be available except
for a summary sheet of sessions and social activities.
* Abstracts will be available through an on-line supplement to the Journal of
Transport & Health published by Elsevier.
* Active travel has been incorporated into the conference programme; Walking Tours
* Public transport (i.e., underground and double-decker buses) and active travel
will be used to attend planned social functions.
* Recycled materials have been purchased (when available) for use at the
* Plastic name badges, banners and other items will be collected for reuse or
recycling at conclusion of the conference.
* Reusable beverage containers will be encouraged rather than paper or Styrofoam
* Refreshment break and luncheon recycling containers will be available for
disposal of utensils, plates, cups and compost; as an alternative, china/pottery cups,
saucers, plates and metal cutlery will be used.
Use code ICTH15JTAYJ to receive £20 off your ICTH registration fee on 22 April 2015 in
celebration of Earth Day.
We look forward to meeting you in London!
Karyn and Jenny
*Help us spread the word about ICTH 2015, please pass this email along to your
Dr Jennifer Mindell
Reader in Public Health
Health and Social Surveys Research Group
Research Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
1-19 Torrington Place
London WC1E 6BT
Tel. 020 7679 1269 (Internal x41269)
BOOK NOW for the 1st International Conference on Transport & Health: at UCL 6th-8th
Journal of Transport & Health
Karyn M. Warsow, MS, MPH
DrPH Candidate, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Health Policy Management and Leadership
Founder & Executive Director, Transportation-Public Health Link
4947 Hallenius Road
Gaylord, Michigan 49735
Office: (231) 546-3462
Cellular: (231) 340-0242
1st International Conference on Transport & Health
July 6-8, 2015
Follow us on Twitter #ICTH2015
Journal of Transport and Health: