Hi friends of Census-
Last week, Census State Data Centers organized a webinar on 2020 Census demonstration
data: Privacy and accuracy issues. Many of you attended.
The recording from the Dec. 4 webinar and the slidedeck files from the presenters are now
The Census SDC steering committee passes on its thanks to the webinar presenters -- Beth
Jarosz of Population Reference Bureau, David Van Riper of Minnesota Population Center, Jan
Vink of Cornell Program on Applied Demographics. Thanks all of you!
Also, the Census SDC steering committee wants to share or remind of the following info:
* Census Bureau has made available decennial census demonstration data products, to
demonstrate what the decennial census results will look like to the public, and to
demonstrate the impact of the differential privacy regime. See the Demonstration Data
* As discussed on the Dec. 4 webinar, we are recommending you investigate for
yourself. Minnesota Population Center has repackaged the demonstration data products for
greater comparison-friendliness. Download the demonstration data products from
* Census Bureau has invited comments on what 2020 data products you need. Send
* Census Bureau also invites comment on the impacts of the differential privacy
process. Send comments to
Some of you reading this participated in the NAS / CNSTAT Workshop on 2020 Census Data
18>, held in
Washington this week. If you participated, please share on this listserv any notable
"news" or take-aways. We're interested to hear!
on behalf of Census State Data Centers<https://sdcclearinghouse.com/>
Principal Demographer | Metropolitan Council | Regional Policy and Research
Phone 651.602.1322 | Fax 651.602.1674
390 North Robert Street | St. Paul, MN 55101 |
From: Graham, Todd
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 3:23 PM
Subject: Webinar: 2020 Census demonstration data: Privacy and accuracy issues
When: Wednesday, December 04, 2019 1:00 PM-2:30 PM (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US &
Hi friends of Census-
The Census State Data Centers steering committee is organizing a webinar for Dec. 4,
titled: 2020 Census demonstration data: Privacy and accuracy issues.
Please save the date: Wed., December 4, 2:00 Eastern (11:00 Pacific).
The webinar address + call-in number will be forthcoming (soon).
The audience for the webinar are: Partners of Census Bureau, and Census data "power
* Census implementing new disclosure avoidance methods with 2020 Census public data
* Overview of Differential Privacy, effects on data accuracy, examples based on
Census's decennial demonstration data tables
* Proposed data products, what tables will be available
* How you can review the demonstration data tables now online
* Suggested next steps, and opportunities for feedback: Both Census Bureau and NAS/
CNSTAT are asking for stakeholders' input.
Presenters for this webinar are:
* Jan Vink, research specialist at Cornell Program on Applied Demographics (a FSCPE
and SDC member in New York)
* Dave Van Riper, spatial analysis director at Univ of Minnesota Population Center (a
SDC coord agency in MN)
* Beth Jarsoz, demographer at Population Reference Bureau.
(Content of this webinar will be similar to Dave and Beth's webinar for APDU earlier
On behalf of Census State Data Centers<https://sdcclearinghouse.com/>