Transportation Modeler/GIS Specialist Job Opening
Bryan/College Station Metropolitan Planning Organization
Brazos County, Texas
The Bryan/College Station Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is
the transportation planning body for Brazos County. Representatives from
the Cities of Bryan and College Station, Texas A&M University (TAMU),
Brazos County, Brazos Transit, the Texas Department of Transportation
(TxDOT), the public and other stakeholders work together to create a
continuing, cooperative & comprehensive planning process.
Summary of Position:
The Transportation Modeler/GIS Specialist is responsible for:
(1) Developing and maintaining a regional transportation planning
four-step model to support the Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP)
and other necessary applications.
(2) Integrating GIS with the regional transportation planning
analysis, to provide visual representations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
* Develop local area inputs that the Department of
Transportation requires for transportation models (e.g. demographics,
networks inventories, and forecasts).
* Research and analyze employment, population, housing, and land
use data for use in the transportation model. Coordinate work with local
governments to review and revise network data. Construct transportation
network computer models for present and future years based on
* Conduct/Assist in socio-demographic research for use in the
transportation model and MTP, using Census Data, including the Census
Transportation Planning Package and other data sources as appropriate.
* Develop, document and produce travel demand estimates and
conduct analyses of different transportation scenarios related to local
transportation plans, corridor studies, plan updates and other special
studies using the transportation model.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Broad knowledge of the principles, methods and practices of
statistical modeling and transportation planning. Knowledge of
transportation modeling processes and data needs, modeling theory and
steps necessary to design, run and evaluate computer models & TIAs.
* Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in
writing; prioritize goals; prepare clear and concise reports; prepare
informational materials and present complex technical material in
non-technical terms to a variety of audiences.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with staff, technical committees, policy board, partner
agencies, public officials and the general public.
Experience & Training Required:
* Bachelor's degree in geography, transportation, urban
planning, information systems or a related field.
* At least 3 years of increasingly responsible experience in
* Master's degree in geography, transportation, urban planning,
information systems or a related field may be substituted for one year
* Possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License, proper
insurance, and reliable vehicle.
See website for complete job description.
$45,000 - $50,000 / year (Relocation expenses are not paid)
February 15, 2007
Submit a detailed cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Linda LaSut
3608 E. 29th Street
Bryan, TX 77802
Email: llasut(a)bcsmpo.org <mailto:email@example.com>